Sunday, January 23, 2011

Everything Matters!


Well, well.  This book is not like anything I've read in quite some time.  As you can glean from the flap, the world is ending relatively soon, and only young Junior Thibodeau knows it.  You can imagine how this might affect any person, much less a child, and it's an interesting predicament to ponder. 

Extremely bright but often misunderstood, Junior seems to grow up with most everyone else at arm's length.  To further complicate the sitch, his silent, absentee father works non-stop, and his mother has drunk herself inert.  Then (cue the predictability factor) he meets Amy, a fellow smartie/similarly troubled youth.

Everything Matters! by Ron Currie, Jr. is not a book I'll read again too soon.  It does have a few poignant (and sometimes funny) moments, but overall it didn't speak to me.  Although Junior is privy to the when and how of the apocalypse, he doesn't seem to do much with it.  For my time, I'd just as soon spend the hours I read this book on watching back episodes of Lost

Choice quote from this book, by Junior:

So instead of venting my anger, which is really just hurt dressed up for a night on the town, I ask if anyone needs a drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment