Monday, May 16, 2011

Misnomer

It's funny how GQ can be so polarizing to me.  In one article, they'll gripe that $6 is too much for a lip balm, and on the next page they'll tout a $400 shirt.  That's probably more than I spend on all clothes I wear in a year--including shoes. 

Anywho, imagine my surprise when I glanced the latest cover:


Back?  Where did he go?  Since The Hangover, I'd go so far as to say that Zach G. has been damn-near ubiquitous.  Due Date.  Dinner for Schmucks.  Up in the Air.  SNL. 

Can I get an amen?

Also, mini-rant: The Hangover was a funny (definitely R-rated) movie.  Why couldn't we leave it at that?  Why did they have to do a sequel?  The obvious answer is the money.  But wasn't it somewhat refreshing to watch that comedy way back in 2009 and actually laugh? 

Of course I have not seen the sequel and can't speak to how funny it may or may not be.  But look at the movies in the last, oh, I don't know...ten years.  They're either fairly terrible remakes or comic book movies.  That's why I blog about movies such as Rabbit Hole and Away We Go and even Kramer vs. Kramer.

What are some of your favorites?

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you, T. What made The Hangover funny was the fact it came with no expectations - it was the pure unexpected nature of, well, the whole film that made it so funny and enjoyable. I fear the second one will be like that difficult second album... had to get right and overloaded with expectations.

    P.S. Saw the trailer for the 'girl' version 'Bridesmaids' the other day - talk about jumping on The Hangover-genre bandwagon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, it made me laugh hard. So wrong, yet so funny -

    I'm still hoping for lots of laughs the second time around, but I definitely understand your point. They had to make a sequel though. Fans have been asking for it since they left the theater the first time for the same reason you mentioned. . . . it'd been a long time since a comedy made anyone laugh like that.

    My favorite movies are endless and all over the map. Most you could probably name yourself because of my endless quotes.

    Did you get a chance to watch Black Swan? I'm still anxious to hear your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete