Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Unbearable Lightness

Confession:  I read the following book expressly because of Oprah.  She had Portia de Rossi on her show a few weeks ago, and I couldn't wait to get my hands on it.

This is a memoir that centers around Portia's struggles with eating disorders and body image issues.  And it was fascinating.  Even though I pretty much knew the ending (she is married to Ellen, for those who may not be aware), it was still a page turner. 

I remember Portia from her breakout role on Ally McBeal, which I loved in high school.  She played the ice queen so well.  And then she turned around and did Arrested Development.  Genius.  It showed a totally different side of her and her acting abilities--one that is whip-smart but vulnerable at times.  

Early on in her career, she had lingering insecurity from her teenage years spent as an emotionally needy model.  This book tells the story of her rise to fame while her personal life (and health) spiraled out of control.  All I can say is that she does a great job of taking the reader right to the dark places in her mind at the time.  It's definitely worth the read.  My quote from page 230:

"Not just anyone could have anorexia.  It was a disorder of the highly accomplished, cultured, beautiful.  It belonged to models, singers, and Princess Diana."

No comments:

Post a Comment