Monday, November 7, 2011

Austin!

Let me just say that I had a great weekend in Austin.  My pals Melanie and Joe were wonderful hosts, and we had a brief but enormously fun tour around the Texan capital.  Our first stop was South Congress (locally called SoCo) at the store Uncommon Objects.


I don't know what it is about taxidermy that alternately fascinates and terrifies me, but this baboon definitely fit the bill. 
Along those lines: doll parts.

Now we come to what was arguably my favorite part of the trip.  Hey Cupcake! is a company of Airstream trailers that have been turned into mobile cupcakeries.  Yum.  I ate four.
Here we have a red velvet and "the standard," which is a yellow cake with chocolate frosting.  I also got another standard and a Michael Jackson.  That would be a chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting.
Parts & Labour was a recommendation from my pal Dawn.  It's a really neat shop where you can find things like Burt Reynolds pillows, complete with felt mustache, and hilarious postcards (see below).

One of our last hoorahs was a trip to The Oasis at Lake Travis.  It's a nice restaurant overlooking the lake, where we were able to snag a balcony table and eat some delicious TexMex as the sun set over the Lonestar State.

One night we also went to Esther's Follies, which is a wholly unique experience.  It's a show that combines music, magic, and political satire--almost like a scaled-down (funny) version of Saturday Night Live.  If you're ever in Austin, I recommend all of the above.  I think it makes a great destination for a long weekend, and we didn't even go to a concert, which is the heart of the city.  The mind reels at such prospects.

I am already planning a return trip next year.

5 comments:

  1. FUN! I'm glad that you had a great trip.

    Now I want a cupcake. BAD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A. CUPCAKES! Yum.
    B. Those doll parts are delightfully creepy.
    C. Austin is an awesome city. Glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cupcakes look divine! Want to know something random? There's a picture of Austin, TX hanging in my office. Now I'll be wishing for a cupcake every time I look at it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I want to know is, did you have the Miles of Chocolate dessert? - Missy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always wanted to visit Austin. I guess I need to add to my list of places to go next year!

    ReplyDelete