Tuesday, November 30, 2010

This Is Where I Leave You (the book, not a personal statement)


Wow.  I heart this book

It's all about the life of Judd Foxman, a non-practicing Jew (it comes into play!) whose wife cheats on him with his boss.  Oh, and Judd's father has just passed away.  He returns to his New England childhood home to observe the shiva (see?) with his mother and siblings.  In case you're not familiar, which was me until reading this book, shiva is a Jewish tradition in which the close relatives of the departed person mourn his death and welcome co-mourners for seven days. 

It was fascinating enough just to learn more about this practice, but throw on some family drama, childhood memories, and a ton of hilarity, and you have a real winner.  This was seriously a book that pained me to put down; I have since checked out Tropper's Everything Changes, which is very much in the same vein of being addictive.  (See what I did there.  Vein.  Addiction.  Drugs.  Hehe.)

Favorite quote from this book, spoken by Judd's older brother:

At some point, being angry is just another bad habit, like smoking, and you keep poisoning yourself without thinking about it.

4 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to read thiiiiiiiis!! Plus just look at that cover. So many colors! Glad to hear you liked it so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great and true quote. I may have to use that in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Holly. That is one great quote. Deeply true & as hard to break.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this quote, think i will have to pick up this book tomorrow when i am out

    ReplyDelete